Tuesday 12 March 2013

Refuse collection a "load of rubbish"

A Middleton pensioner has slammed local Town Hall bosses after her bin has been repeatedly missed by refuse crews. Now a backlog of bags has built up in her garden and she is petrified at the risk of rats.




71 year old widow Edith Poker told our reporter the problem first started 12 weeks ago when she put her bin out, but it wasn't emptied. "I waited and waited for them to come, but after 5 days gave up and brought my bin in. I put it out again two days later, but still they didn't come for it."


Edith's bin.

After 6 weeks and the bill spilling over, she rang the council and was told it was her responsibility to pull her bin out. "I told them it was too heavy, but the man was completely disinterested. He said I must have put the bin out on the wrong day. But when I told my my friend Mary, she said she had put hers out on the wrong day too, but the council came the very next day. She puts hers out on Monday, so I did but it still  got missed. It's disgusting how they treat pensioners. I fought in the war, and they should remember that."

A council spokesman said that they had repeatedly advised Mrs Poker that her refuse collection day is definitely Wednesday, and should disregard the Tuesday collection day her friend in Ordsall has. "We would be pleased to empty Mrs Poker's bins but when we sent the emergency crew out, she refused to unchain the bin from her birdbath. We hope to try again this Wednesday"

4 comments:

  1. Having re-read the MEN and checked their website, I am starting to believe this story is not true.

    How dare you publish something that isn't true !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typically this would not have happened if she was black, with 16 children, 64 grandchildren and 1024 great-grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had problems with my bin collection a few years Go. I complained tithe council but they didn't deal with it very effectively.

    However I've tried to put it behind me and get in with my life, such as it can be with unresolved bin collections. Drink helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I two had problems with bottle recycling, now I just drink form Cannes

      Delete